Friday, May 05, 2006

McLeese Lake: RMV passing by

This shot is one of my favourites. We were heading to Quesnel and I decided to stop near the copper loading terminal for Gibraltar Mine to get a shot of the Rocky Mountaineer train as it passed by.

I was probably within 10 feet of the track as the train passed by. This is not necessarily a safe thing to do, just in case something drops off the train or is sticking out. But, it was worth the risk for the shot. I got another good one here in the winter I will post as part of my journalism portfolio.

The engineer had been accelerating but it sounded like he eased up a bit before he reached me. He was also clanging the train's bell as he went by. You can see him waving in the photo. I'm glad he wasn't on the horn! I bet they would have had a good laugh over that one. I don't know if they get a little nervous with people standing that close to the track. I wouldn't blame him.

If you're interested in buying one of my photos, please email me at: alain@thejournalist.ca. These are substantially pared down photos and the originals are far higher quality. On my 8.2 megapixel Canon 30D I shoot at the highest quality setting inJPEG which gives an image size of 3504x2336. I am considering just shooting everything in RAW format so it will be that much better. I've got 2 gig and 1 gig Ultra II compact flash cards, so they're fast and they will hold lots.

No comments: