Saturday, March 31, 2007

Getting Up: Half-Assed Review

By Alain Saffel

I am always on the hunt for old software. Rarely do I pick up a title brand new, unless I absolutely have to have it. You can also find some real gems that were never very popular. I made one of those discoveries recently.

I picked up a title called Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure. It’s a PC game about graffiti. It looks great, and I even loaded it up on my laptop, but my laptop isn’t up to the task of running this software. I haven’t loaded it on my desktop computer but I know the video card isn’t compatible. I need a 64 meg card that can do shading. Hmm. Have to invest in that.

No matter, that just gives me an excuse to upgrade. Right? Oh, I could just go the video card route, but the desktop is a few years old, and just might need to be seriously upgraded (read: new.)

I still look at all the trains passing by here, but really haven’t taken the time to get out take pictures, but I figured this would be one way to get my graffiti fix.

The game looks interesting because it’s not a first-person shooter; it’s a first-person painter. I’ll have to change my mindset to running away instead of standing up to foes. I know you do have access to a variety of weapons, but the focus of the game doesn’t seem to be on that.

Once I’ve upgraded my computer or video card, I’ll go a little more in depth about the game. I’m hoping it will be one of those games that will be so good I have to tear myself away from it, or risk divorce. Diablo was one of those games. I haven’t been gaming much, so it’s about time I get into something again. :)

I think it’s time to head out to the local computer store and see what they have for decent video cards…

Update: A few years later. I ended up getting a new computer and eventually put this in. It didn't work well at all. Avoid it!

No comments: